If you are about to go on a long road trip, you may want to think about seeing a road trip movie to get you in the mood. There is nothing like seeing a double or triple feature before you hit the road, because it will inspire you and motivate you even more to get out there and explore. When it comes down to it, the road trip movie is a classic and there are so many out there. Fortunately, there are only a few that are the best of the best. Even if you aren’t traveling, just watching these moves will take you away to magical foreign lands. However, some of these movies will make you want to hit the road even sooner. Here are five great movies about traveling you have to see.
- Into the Wild – the predominant message that anyone can relate to in this movie is about letting go and giving in to your wanderlust side. Based on the diary of an adventurous young kid from the suburbs, this film is a beautiful adventure tale. However, it is also a tale about the dangers of going too far into the wild.
- The Motorcycle Diaries – this is another true adventure film. Based on the life of Che Guavara and a friend, this film takes place during the revolutionary’s early years when he was still trying to figure out what to do with his life. Stuck in his native Argentina, the young Che decides to venture off on a motorcycle trip through South America making discoveries all along the way. Set to a beautiful score, this film will have you on the edge of your seat the entire time.
- Y Tu Mama Tambien – this indie gem of a movie takes place in Mexico. Two friends decide to set off on a road trip to the beach and what they discover along the way surprises them. On the beach they meet a woman who has an illness and the boys learn more about life than they would ever want to learn while on an easy breezy trip to the beach. This film will have you laughing and in tears almost the whole time.
- The Darjeeling Limited – directed by the visual genius Wes Anderson, this film is a great tale of adventure and camaraderie. It takes place in India on the famed Darleeling Limited, a train that travels through the country. Stylish, colorful and fun, the film is a tale of adventure, but it is also a tale of intrigue and slapstick comedy that can only be described as Anderson’s unique style of filmmaking. It’s a must see for any individual heading out on a big trip.
- Easy Rider – this is by far one of the most iconic road trip movies and it was filmed in the 60s, so it’s an oldie, but goody. After watching this film, you’ll definitely want to look at Hipmunk’s guide to Myrtle Beach or some other fun location to find cheap tickets or hotel rates. In the end, Easy Rider will teach you how to live life to the fullest.